10.25.2009

Pumpkin Apple Pie: A Perfect Compromise

First of all, I want to thank all of you who visited my blog yesterday! I was truly overwhelmed! I had more readers for the first day than I ever could have wished for, so thank you. Your posted comments were very encouraging, and the emails I received were full of great questions and topics that I cannot wait to blog about!

Some of you asked about signing up for e-mail subscription to the blog. I have added a space on the sidebar where you can now do that. Hope it helps!

Now onto the recipe...

Whenever pie is offered at Thanksgiving, I am always torn between pumpkin or apple. So I thought I would try one that merged the two flavors and see how it turned out. My guinea pigs were Ed (loves apple pie), my brother Ted (loves pumpkin pie), and Ted’s girlfriend Allison (likes desserts with pumpkin and apple).

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

¾ cup whole wheat flour

½ cup steel cut oats

1 tbsp raw organic honey

½ tsp sea salt

½ cup cold organic butter, cut into small pieces

¼ cup cold water

Combine flour, oats and salt. Blend in butter and honey with mixer until mixture is lumpy. Blend in water slowly by hand, until mixture holds together. Shape dough into a round ball and place on floured piece of wax paper. Top with another piece of wax paper and roll it out to about 1/8-inch thickness. Press dough into pie plate.

Pumpkin Apple Pie Filling

1/3 cup brown sugar

½ cup raw organic honey

1 tbsp arrowroot

1 tsp sea salt

2 tbsp ground cinnamon

1/3 cup water

2 tbsp organic butter

2 apples (I used one Granny Smith and 1 Honeycrisp)

1 egg

¾ cup fresh (or canned) pumpkin

¼ tsp ground cloves

¼ tsp ground ginger

¾ cup lowfat milk

1 tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Core and thinly slice apples (I used the food processor – easiest way).

Mix brown sugar, arrowroot, 1 tbsp cinnamon, salt, water and butter into a pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. When mixture boils, add sliced apples. Toss for 4-5 minutes so that apples are coated in mixture. Remove from heat.



In separate bowl, mix together egg, honey, pumpkin, 1 tbsp cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and milk.

Pour apple mixture into pie crust. Spoon pumpkin mixture over the top.

Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and bake until filling is just set in the middle (it took me about 40 minutes). Let cool completely on a wire rack, and enjoy with vanilla gelato!


The verdict: Ed, Ted and Allison all loved the pie! I served it warm, with the gelato of course. I think this pie would be the perfect Thanksgiving dessert to impress your family and friends and satisfy all tastes!

8 comments:

  1. Ann, this looks delish! Can't wait to try it. Want to do a little guest blogging for Haute Apple Pie after the holidays? I'm thinking you'd be perfect for a healthy new year's resolution post or two! Let's discuss.... :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I would LOVE to do some blogging for HAP. We'll be in touch.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! and I love the photos you took! does this recipe also come with the chef to make it for me! ;) just kidding...can't wait to get more great recipes and try them! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, maybe Ted and I don't make the best guinea pigs because we both love all food (especially when served in your kitchen with a beer and some laughs) but we were definitely lucky to be your testers the past few months.

    I have been craving another piece of this pie since you made it...

    Congrats! blog looks amazing and I couldn't be more excited to read it every day! Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did we give you guys this pie dish for your wedding? Love seeing it in action! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great...even for college students because I already have all of the ingredients!! Will make later this week... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Elizabeth, this is a Woodcock gift!! We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, I am so impressed with your blog, it is amazing to see all the information we learn at school compilled in such a beautiful, simple and smart way. You rock!
    Happy Tuesday!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete