2.04.2010

Therapeutic Meal: Cancer – Antioxidant Fruit Salad

This is the last recipe from the meal we served in class last week. My sisters Alice and Madeline discovered this recipe a couple years ago when they were planning a wedding shower for me, and it was so bright, beautiful and delicious! I adapted it a little for my cancer meal presentation so it would contain more of the important cancer-fighting nutrients.

The pomegranate seeds and berries contain many antioxidants. Antioxidants help eliminate free radicals inside the body, which contribute to cancer cell growth if not kept in control. Pomegranates and berries are particularly rich sources of ellagic acid. Ellagic acid is a type of antioxidant that inhibits cancer formation and mutation.

Lemons and limes contain flavonoids that have both antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. These flavonoids can stop cell division in cancer cells. The vitamin C content in lemons and limes helps to eliminate free radicals inside the body.

Raw honey can act as an antibacterial and antioxidant in our blood. It is a good source of B-vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, potassium and many raw enzymes. Read more about the health benefits of raw honey here.

This recipe is great for summer bbqs or parties. It meets my mom's expectation of having lots of color at every meal, and is a perfect touch of sweetness after a good meal. Enjoy!

Recipe

1 cup strawberries, slice strawberries as desired

1 cup blueberries

1 cup blackberries

1 cup raspberries

2 medium apples, diced

2 pomegranates, remove seeds and include with fruit

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup raw honey

1 lime, juiced

1 TBSP orange zest

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients right before serving.



3 comments:

  1. AHH I love this salad--the dressing is so light and good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann,

    My passion is nutrition as well, and I am a terrible gardener :) Congrats on your studies! I recently did a "fix & flip" (home) in Denver; loved the city.

    In any case, I think you would really enjoy checking out SoZo, which is an incredibly nutritious healthy functional beverage that has no preservatives, no caffeine, & no artificials colors or flavors. One daily 3 oz serving is the equivalent in antioxidant level & nutrition to that of 20 servings of fruits & veggies. --I would LOVE to help you get started in Denver. www.sozolife.com/sozofine is my replicated site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, this sounds delicious! I'm saving it to my recipe folder right now! After last night's cooking class I could use something light and healthy. I don't think I've ever had so much butter and cream in my entire life! Ugh. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete