9.30.2010

ApplePearSauce Recipe + Blogging Vacation!


An anonymous reader requested yesterday that I share my applesauce recipe. It’s actually apple/pear sauce, but it works the same with just apples. And, it’s nothing special other than I leave all the skins on and I don’t add any sugar! Here it is:


Recipe


Apples and pears (I used about 15 apples and 10 pears)


Cinnamon sticks and/or ground cinnamon


1-2 lemons


Water








Quarter and core all apples and pears. Set into a large pot. Add 1 cup water (you may need more – enough so the fruit won’t burn, but not too much or you’ll get watery sauce). Squeeze the juice of 1 or 2 lemons into the pot. If using 30+ apples, I’d use more than 1 lemon, but use your own judgment. I think lemons are one of the best foods that exist, but I’ve been accused in the past of “over-lemoning” things. Add cinnamon sticks and/or ground cinnamon to taste. Turn heat on high for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce to a simmer and cover.


Stir occasionally and when fruit is soft enough, start to mash it as you stir. Cook until the sauce is your desired texture. I like my applesauce extra chunky, but if you want it smooth you can use an immersion blender to puree. Remove cinnamon sticks before storing. I like to serve it hot, so I just scoop some into these ramekins and heat it in the oven while I prepare the rest of dinner.








Keeping the skin on the fruit adds some fiber and texture to the sauce. It also makes the applesauce a pretty pink color, which is so much more appetizing than white or yellow! I recommend making this in big batches for two reasons: your house will smell amazing, and also it freezes well so you can enjoy it all throughout autumn and winter.


I also wanted to let you guys know that I will be taking the next TWO weeks off from blogging. I have to admit I’m pretty excited for the break – mainly because I have some other fun things planned that don’t involve school/blogging/work! In the meantime, eat healthy and try to stay active as we transition into fall weather. It’s a great time to be outside, and also to try some hearty chili or vegetable soup recipes!


See you on October 18th!






4 comments:

  1. Have a splendid two weeks. If the last photo in this post is any indication of where you may be, then, of course, you will have a splendid time, No matter how much time you spend there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vivian! It will be a really nice break! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today with apples from Eckert's (thanks Claire, Gus, and CeCe) and pears...so delicious! Oh and in the LaFave family, there is no such thing as over-lemoning.

    ReplyDelete